148372_54_news_hub_135455_656x500
Amir Khan is ready to fight Saul Alvarez for world boxing title in Las Vegas. He will fight the Mexican for the WBC world middleweight title on 7 May in Las Vegas.
The 29 year old boxer is a former light-welterweight world champion who has not fought since outpointing Chris Algieri in New York in May. However, 25 year old Alvarez beat Miguel Cotto by a unanimous points decision to claim the title in Las Vegas in November.
Alvarez has lost once and won 46 of his 48 fights. The fight has been set at a catchweight of 155lb, eight more than Khan weighed in victory against Algieri and a jump of two weight divisions. The usual weight limit for middleweight is 160lb, but Alvarez’s last few fights have had the same weight stipulation.
Amir Khan
Khan’s announcement also rules him out of a fight against IBF welterweight champion and domestic rival Kell Brook at Wembley on June 4. “I know Canelo fights the best and wouldn’t pass up the opportunity to face me like others have,” said Khan. “My goal is to always fight the biggest names and the best fighters. That is why I’m excited for this fight. “I know I have the speed and ability to beat him and will give my fans what they deserve.”
Khan has won 31 and lost three of his 34 professional fights.